1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Tray ceilings and rafter ties. Hmmmm.....

Discussion in 'Residential Structural Codes' started by jar546, Jun 24, 2013.

1. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

As you raise the ties you also increase the stress on the rafters at the connection and rafters might need to be upsized.....Or the structural ridge...

2. Gina Phillips

Gina Phillips Registered User

Thank you. We were structurally recommended to sister our roof rafters.

3. Mark K

Mark K Platinum Member

Structurally recommended by who? A contractor or an engineer? A lot of people express an opinion but many do not have a basis for deciding what is needed. What worked on a previous project might not be appropriate since there may be significant differences.

4. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

For what its worth and depending on spacing and specie, 1934 2 x4's net dimensions are larger then todays and maybe stronger. My 1905 barn with 2 x 4's (net) at 36" o.c. space sheathed is still standing sag free.