1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Painting ceiling tiles in a public school classroom.

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by Kim Lauzon, May 14, 2019.

1. Kim Lauzon

Kim Lauzon Registered User

I'm in New Jersey: There was a thread in June 2017 and I'd like more info on this. Some years ago I was denied permission to allow students to paint designs on a limited number of individual ceiling tiles. I was told this would alter the fire retardant properties of the tiles. I looked it up at the time and found that so long as I didn't paint more than 20% of the ceiling, it was permissible, and my principal allowed it. I now have students who are asking to paint some more of the tiles (still within 20%), but we have a new principal, and he denied the request. Unfortunately, I didn't keep a record of my previous research, and I can't seem to find the codes or regulations on this. Can anyone help?

2. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

I found it but I can’t copy and paste with an iPad. Do a search on the word ceiling in titles only by member marshal chris.

I googled the question and up popped a forum.....sorry Jeff it was a Bob Vila forum.

3. Kim Lauzon

Kim Lauzon Registered User

Thank you for responding! I'm new to this forum - I don't completely understand your search suggestion. Search this forum? Not sure how to do that my member... Man, I googled a bunch of combinations but didn't find what I needed - for a public building?

4. cda

cda Sawhorse

More than likely the tiles you have are not fire retardant

If you are brave take one down. If it is retardant there should be markings on it to indicate that.

More than likely the principal does not want anymore or start a trend

Welcome

5. cda

cda Sawhorse

6. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

7. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

8. my250r11

my250r11 Sawhorse

As mentioned most ceiling tiles are acoustic and cosmetic.

jar546 likes this.