1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Hard Wired Smoke Detectors

Discussion in 'Residential Building Codes' started by jar546, Feb 7, 2019.

1. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

This is a dilemma that my AHJ has not been able to deal with. There's probably a dozen "policies". I know that we don't pay any heed to the part about hard-wiring existing dwellings if there is an attic or crawl space....well we get that on complete rewire jobs but not much else. The dwelling pretty much has to be gutted before that's included.

I know what the code requires....there is an obvious path to requiring hard wired alarms on almost every permitted job.....we just ignore that....The backlash is greater than our resolve. I get it....hard wiring alarms is an expensive proposition that people are not prepared for.

#21 ICE, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  2. Builder Bob

Builder Bob Sawhorse

rktect - did not mean to infer for new construction - however, for existing residential units doing remodels, this is the only way to go especially with the push for the master suite to be remote from the other bedrooms. As far as the comment about the master smoke and the slave smoke, code language does not require that as it is a part of the UL listing for the smoke detector system.

Here is one option -

https://www.firstalertstore.com/store/products/sa521cn-3st-onelink-wireless-hardwired-smoke-alarm.htm

3. conarb

conarb Sawhorse

Because nobody wants them.

4. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

Ya and some people really don’t want them.....it’s a huge PTA. Contractors never mention this to the owners so when I show up for a final inspection, seldom do I find compliant smoke and CO alarms. They learn that there’s another $100 to spend.

The requirement adds, at a minimum, one and sometimes four more inspections. We staple a sheet of instructions to the permit.....I provide the same sheet at the first inspection.....I end up talking to a door bell that says, "What do you mean I have to be there? Can't you take my word for it? It’s ridiculous. Why didn't the contractor tell me? Is the contractor responsible for this?"

LA City has a form that can be provided in lieu of an inspection. Here's a link http://ladbs.org/docs/default-source/forms/inspection-forms/owner-statement-and-acknowledgment-form-(to-notarize).pdf?sfvrsn=24

It is even notarized. I have seen it stapled to a job card thrice. It was left where I could find it at a final inspection for a re-roof. We do not accept that so I had to perform the inspection. On two occasions there were missing/misplaced smoke / CO alarms....A third had none.

#24 ICE, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  5. tmurray

tmurray Sawhorse

How close to the peak of the slope? Our installation standard requires them to be no closer than 900mm (~3') due to the heat concentration causing nuisance alarms.

6. cda

cda Sawhorse

Well they are suppose to be with in three feet of the peak.

Look at most manufacture install instructions,

Also, there should be a temperature range: Temperature Range 40°F (4°C) to 100°F (38°C)

7. tmurray

tmurray Sawhorse

4738_001.jpg
    This is what we have as a requirement

8. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

#28 ICE, Feb 11, 2019 at 9:28 AM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 9:35 AM
  9. rktect 1

rktect 1 Gold Member

You should read the code commentary.

10. tmurray

tmurray Sawhorse

11. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

The manufacturer instructions are always right. Maybe different instructions for different alarms?

Usulty a house has a 8' ceiling somewhere so the smoke alarm doesn't have to be so high. If there is a 8' high soffit around a room with a high ceiling can't the smoke alarm be below the soffit? Why wouldn't the soffit be part of the ceiling?

Had problems of where to put smoke alarms in small chateau type houses where the 1st floor bedroom doorway is in a kitchen under a mezzanine and the rest of the house has a cathedral ceiling.

12. Paul Sweet

Paul Sweet Sawhorse

Smoke rises, so the higher the smoke detector the sooner it will sense the smoke.

13. Ty J.

Ty J. Sawhorse

14. conarb

conarb Sawhorse

Back when we were arguing the fire sprinklers I read that 75% of residential fires were cooking related and 10% smoking related, with the feminist movement nobody cooks in their homes anymore, my wife stopped cooking when she read the feminist books in the 70s, my mother cooked but neither the range or oven has been on in this house since my mother died 12 years ago, they've virtually outlawed smoking and fireplaces now so smoke detectors are necessary anymore. Frying food is unhealthy and a thing of the past except in lower class areas.

steveray likes this.
  15. cda

cda Sawhorse

I think the shaded area is four inches and add 200 mm you are not more than one foot down

Which is approved

16. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

"Frying food is unhealthy and a thing of the past except in lower class areas."

Do you even think about what you are posting? I don't know why it continues to amaze me, but tt does.

Excuse me y'all, my buffalo wings are about done........don't want the oil too get hot.

17. Ty J.

Ty J. Sawhorse

Please, do share how you come up with these pearls of wisdom. Such a cynic with little to no respect for those who differ from you.

The codes are written to protect all, but maybe you would be happy with a code for the upper class and one for the lower class? As if that wont set us back 70 years.

fatboy likes this.
  18. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

I'm confused. Is that not the way it is now?

19. Coder

Coder Silver Member

Smoke alarms are good. Especially when yer burning yer fried chickin.

fatboy likes this.
  20. Paul Sweet

Paul Sweet Sawhorse

Smokes let you know when your food is ready!

my250r11 likes this.