1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Front door orientation for energy compliance

Discussion in 'Residential Energy Codes' started by Bryant, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Bryant

Bryant Registered User

interestingly enough are all things energy conservation minded, but I can not find a section or reference material indicating when the IRC requires the front door orientation to be indicated, compass wise, for any form of energy compliance. Looking at the prescriptive requirements of 2015 IRC 402 (N1102), nothing stands out, including footnotes to require the front door orientation to be indicated.
    Not having chased this down to a manual J, so I am not sure if there is something there requiring door oreintation be identified, but maybe there is.
    anybody know what drives this?
    thanks

2. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

Zoning laws usually have requirments of where the front of the house is.

Inspector Gift likes this.
  3. my250r11

my250r11 Sawhorse

Zoning maybe, if it has a street in front that's the front, if alley that's rear here. Nothing about the door having to face the street. We have the home addressed on the street side weather the door is there or not.

tmurray likes this.
  4. conarb

conarb Sawhorse

I think Bryant is confusing the 'Energy Code' with the 'Green Code', many Green Codes require front doors with porches so people can sit on the porches and 'commune' with their neighbors, they also want glass in their front doors so people can see in and out, it's all part of 'communitarianism' in the coming green utopia, most of these requirements aren't mandatory but a designer has to pick and choose from a cafeteria of options to amass the requisite green points to comply, it's not compass related but rather street or community square related, it's also one of the codes driving prices through the roof.

5. tmurray

tmurray Sawhorse

Our code requires the ability for an occupant to be able to see who they will be opening their door to.

Door orientation is a little heavy handed in any code/law. I could maybe see it in a historic district...

6. Bryant

Bryant Registered User

Sorry off a few days:rolleyes:
    The question is about the orientation for the front door as part of ANY energy requirements, of which I have found nothing to suggest otherwise. But is very apparent on the HVAC design work sheet, (residential) asking for door's orientation on the worksheet). Maybe zoning, but its driven by a design criteria (identify orientation) of which I do not understand what the difference makes. It's not a daylight zone or some other creature of the energy code, unless I am missing something.
    Anyway, not loosing any sleep over this, just thought some others may have encountered this...
    thanks

7. tmurray

tmurray Sawhorse

It is important when designing the HVAC because it impacts the solar heat gain. Just needs taken into account to properly size a system.

8. conarb

conarb Sawhorse

Yes, but only if it's a glass front door, a solid wood door doesn't allow solar heat gain, a glass front door is just like another window, and it can admit beneficial or detrimental solar heat gain so orientation does make a difference just like with windows.

tmurray likes this.
  9. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

I wonder why the back or side doors doesn't count

10. tmurray

tmurray Sawhorse

all fenestration should count. I'm wondering if this is just someone's worksheet they put together and only listed the front door because it is the one that typically has the glass in it.

11. mp25

mp25 Registered User

from what i heard the intent was to provide a quick confirmation that the paperwork matches the plan i.e. when building the same house over an over again the calculations reflect the proper orientation of the house.

12. Bryant

Bryant Registered User

Interesting responses thanks to all!
    I would admit that it is a paperwork check with the site plan and the HVAC design worksheet. i can see no practical benifit, unless it was as one posted, a SHG coeffiency, even a wooden door has heat transference capabilities but that is picking apples and oranges in the residential world. For example if using a commerical model, one could trade off R- value and U-factor in that one is a membrane as in layers of a assembly, whereas each piece is quantified (u- factor) and the other spectrum is the coverage of insualtion (r-value) in the spaces. In so far as the res energy code driving this, i can not find it