1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Electronic Permitting Software

Discussion in 'Code Administration' started by jeffc, Mar 29, 2018.

1. archer

archer Sawhorse

We are using MyGov and it is a disaster. We finally convinced those upstairs to let us design what we need. We currently are in the process of having it designed by a private company and from what we have seen so far, its going to be awesome. One click and we will have all the info we need for a piece of property.

2. archer

archer Sawhorse

We are currently using MyGov and it is horrible.

3. Richard Kimball CBO CFM

Richard Kimball CBO CFM Registered User

I have used several electronic permitting and inspection tracking software packages. MyGov wasn't bad but had glitches the software developer simply could not fix and said we had to live with it or work around it. I used to work for IBTS, they were using BluePrince at first and it was so bad they worked with a software developer to create Praesus. It was a lot better but still lacked some things so they have now developed their own software and hardware platform using FIT (Field Information Tablets, essentially rugged tablets). I also used MyPermitsNow and Inspection Anywhere which was developed by South Central Planning and Development Commission in Louisiana. It has been improved and evolved into MyGovernmentOnline and I am implementing it for my department. MyGovernmentOnline is active in ten states now and has some great features, it will run on most any platform. I'm running it on my desktop and on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A with S Pen tablet that I can take photos on the jobsite and mark them up on the tablet with the S Pen and upload to the file or send to the contractor or owner as an attachment to the inspection results. We are the first jurisdiction to adopt MyGovernmentOnline in Colorado so I am working with the developers to tailor it specifically for Colorado.

4. Richard Kimball CBO CFM

Yep, I used it in North Dakota. There were several issues that they couldn't fix and said "We just had to live with it." Not acceptable!

5. Richard Kimball CBO CFM

I used to use Filemaker Pro many years ago. It was a great database program. I thought it was no longer being released?

6. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

Currently using SmartGov in one of the communities I work in and really like it. I think it can be improved on but it does a lot.

7. Darren Emery

Darren Emery Sawhorse

A few years back, Apple decided to pour some resources (ie - money!) into further development of Filemaker, and it is stronger than ever. We're on version 17 now, and I have seen dramatic improvements over the last 3-4 years with each new version. It's growing strong, and serving us very well these days.

8. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

Update.........my guy that was devoting half his time to TRAKiT, is now our Business Annalist full time. He is writing custom reports, redesigning workflows, it has been going great. Seems like every day, he refines something.

Advice, if you go to a new system, you need one FTE fully devoted to it, and NOT in your IT department. They need to be somebody who knows the workflows, and the end results. Our position still resides in our department, thankfully.

tmurray and Darren Emery like this.
  9. Darren Emery

Darren Emery Sawhorse

Great advice. By default, I have become that "FTE" for our division. I spend well over 1/2 of my time developing new features, tweaking current features, and maintaining our system. I have been lobbying for about 5 years now to hire a dedicated FTE for this work. We've found a fantastic outside consultant who has helped us take our system to a whole 'nother level, but it would still be great to have someone in house, that does nothing but focus on our system.

We have also found that even when you buy an "off the shelf" product, you'll be much better off if you have someone on staff that knows the system like nobody's business, and can "speak the language" with the vendor.

Just wait until AI, machine learning, drones and microsensors make their way into code enforcement. Before all of this replaces all of us...we're going to need some VERY tech savvy people on our teams!

10. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

Most of the departments here have a hard time getting money for software, nevermind a FTE to implement and tweak it...Falls on the BO...

11. tmurray

tmurray Sawhorse

We've been using it for 9 years and never had an issue. Even some of our feature requests have been completed for free.

I completely agree with this. obviously, based on the size of your department, it does not need to be a full time devotion to the software, but having an internal project champion can help create creative solutions to problems you did not know you had. Simply the fact that they know the nuts and bolts of the software can get you using things that you would have never thought to ask a developer for.

12. my250r11

my250r11 Sawhorse

We are finally getting permit software. not sure if it is good or bad. Energov thru tyler. we stared last week with the building processes and work flows. said would be about a year to go live. Going to be better than stone tablet and hammer we use now. lol

fatboy likes this.
  13. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

You may eat those words.....Never seen a good thing out of Tyler.....I'll take the hammer....

my250r11 likes this.
  14. my250r11

my250r11 Sawhorse

Had Incode in my previous AHJ till we switched to Iworqs. From what I've seen so far it is way better than Incode.

The city is using Tyler for most of our needs. Finally trying to get into the 20th century, good or bad lol.

15. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

For inspections only we are using a App on out cell phone called Mi-Apps which was designed for our inspections. Starting in the morning we just go on the App to see a list of inspections to do. We can click pass or fail and put in comments while doing the inspection. Then it automatically emails the inspection report to the permit holder or anyone else you want it to. It also emails it to the inspector who can file it on their laptop later at the office or home. It's pretty cool except for my fat fingers but you can use voice too.