1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Cite Code Sections for Every Violation?

Discussion in 'Code Administration' started by jar546, Jan 28, 2019.

1. HForester

HForester Member

I'm sure some inspectors come across the same violation many times and probably have those section numbers memorized. If I was doing that job, I would make up a cheat sheet with the common violations that I find over time and reference each of those to the section number. Remember when we used to memorize dozen of telephone number because we called them often? Now that your phone does that for you, what are you using your memory for? :D

Rick18071 likes this.
  2. Sifu

Sifu Gold Member

Back when we had to remember numbers we could because our brains didn't have to worry about where the phone was since it had a handy string attached to it. Now, I can't remember any numbers but I use my memory to figure out where I left my phone. One big trade off!

JCraver likes this.
  3. chris kennedy

chris kennedy Sawhorse

Trying to remember what I had for dinner last night?

I have worked for the same company for 15 years and I don't know the office number off the top off my head.

As an installer I don't get many correction notices but am asked to decipher them often at the office as they all have the section listed, SOP around here.

4. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

When asked, I am happy to provide.

5. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

Doing commercial plan reviews we usually provide a section number
    Residential plan review and inspections never unless asked

6. jwilly3879

jwilly3879 Sawhorse

When they say "Show me."

7. Builder Bob

Builder Bob Sawhorse

Depends upon the level that the inspection will go to.... if it goes to court, it better be documented with code sections.

Pcinspector1 likes this.
  8. Keystone

Keystone Sawhorse

Plan Reviews; For Residential I provide a Chapter Section, if questioned or requested I provide code section. For Commercial I provide code section.

Field Inspections; Only provide code section for Residential or Commercial as requested.

I would prefer to provide code for everything but that is not possible with typical schedule/work load.

9. my250r11

my250r11 Sawhorse

I'm with you on that one, Them: I don't have one, ME; the law says you are suppose to, so I will add that to the correction list! :D

If asked i will explain or give section, very seldom get asked anymore unless new contractor in town.