1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Current residential deck code

Discussion in 'Residential Building Codes' started by Pcinspector1, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Robert

Robert Sawhorse

How many of you are seeing Deck2Wall spacers? They eliminate flashing & hold the ledger off the building by 5/8" for air circulation. Any issues with these other then the penetrations needing to be caulked?

2. khsmith55

khsmith55 Bronze Member

3. khsmith55

khsmith55 Bronze Member

Not familiar with Deck2Wall spacers but I have been using Simpson BP1 (think 3.5"x3.5"x 3/8" washer) spacers at each bolt between the ledger and siding for over 15 years with great results (idiot proof).

4. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

Bumping this.....Anyone requiring frost protection or at least a footing/slab/concrete landing at the bottom of deck stairs? I know it is in DCA 6 and could make it into code, I am just having a hard time with it as I have never seen it cause an issue....

5. Keystone

Keystone Sawhorse

Speaking of bumping, I was asked to bump requesting a landing and I do agree about not hearing this being an issue.

6. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

If grade is decent I do not request a formal "landing".....

7. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

Requiring the slab at the base of the stairs but no frost protection below it, if that's the Q.

Will also allow paver's.

8. Sifu

Sifu Gold Member

What Steveray said.

9. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

Ditto

10. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

We (CT) have amended the FP section:

(Amd) R403.1.4.1 Frost protection. Except where otherwise protected from frost, foundation
    walls, piers and other permanent supports of buildings and structures shall be protected from frost
    by one or more of the following methods:
    1. Extended below the frost line specified in Table R301.2.(1).
    2. Constructed in accordance with Section R403.3.
    3. Constructed in accordance with ASCE 32.
    4. Erected on solid rock.
    Exceptions:
    1. Protection of freestanding accessory structures with an area of 600 square feet (56 m2) or
    less, of light-frame construction, with an eave height of 10 feet (3048 mm) or less shall not
    be required.
    2. Protection of freestanding accessory structures with an area of 400 square feet (37 m2) or
    less, of other than light-frame construction, with an eave height of 10 feet (3048 mm) or
    less shall not be required.
    3. Decks not supported by a dwelling need not be provided with footings that extend below
    the frost line.
    4. The footing for the grade level termination of stairs or ramps attached to decks or landings,
    whether the deck or landing is supported by a dwelling or not, shall only be required to be
    placed at least 12 inches (305 mm) below the undisturbed ground surface in accordance
    with R403.1.4.

Footings shall not bear on frozen soil unless the frozen condition is permanent.

Which is just some really weird language IMO....

11. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

f. Cantilevered spans not exceeding the nominal depth of the joist are permitted.

I have always used the balcony cantilever chart, but now that we have the specific deck joist chart, can we not allow any cantilevers greater than the depth of the joist for decks?

12. Ty J.

Ty J. Sawhorse

R507.5 - ... Deck joists shall be permitted to cantilever not greater than one-forth of the actual adjacent span.

13. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

Code provisions that conflict....Say it ain't so....

Update: there was errata here (that I just found) and I guess what it is trying to say is that you can use the joist spacing for no cantilever for a cantilever up to the depth of the joist. More than that you use the other table (up to the 1/4)

#33 steveray, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  14. tmurray

tmurray Sawhorse

You mean not everyone uses old hockey pucks?

steveray likes this.
  15. tmurray

tmurray Sawhorse

We have never required it here and I have not heard of any issues.

16. Pcinspector1

IRC 2015, R507.5 Adjacent span...So a 14-ft FJ span รท 4 = 3.5-ft.

We have a maximum cantilever of 3-ft as a general rule, looks like I'll have to look at this again.

Is there no blocking between the cantilever required anymore?

17. Pcinspector1

Stack of washers maybe?

Hockey pucks are made in Yugoslavia, can't afford the tariffs?:rolleyes:

18. rogerpa

rogerpa Silver Member