1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Combination Hi/Lo drinking fountain, one fixture or two?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Codes' started by Tim Mailloux, Mar 4, 2019.

1. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Interesting question, what does the plumbing code say as to how to test?

2. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Waiting for answers with baited breath, would the same be true when testing residential fixtures that all must be tested while running simultaneously?

3. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

The code doesn't say anything about testing when anything else is running. But I never had to wait for anything to stop running to check the height of the stream for a drinking fountain yet. But I guess it could happen sometime, especially if the fire sprinklers are running.

4. Mech

Mech Sawhorse

Test the system how it was designed for "peak" flow (?).

One method to determine peak flow is to use the Hunter tables / Hunter's method, which does not tabulate every fixture operating simultaneously. Dr. Roy Hunter's method assigns load factors to plumbing fixtures which are tabulated and then converted to a flow rate.

If I know the sprinklers are running, I would not worry about getting a drink or flushing a toilet. I would be heading for an exit.;):);)

my250r11 likes this.
  5. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

Can't find this by googling. If this is just math it won't help with measuring the height of the drinking fountain stream during an inspection.

6. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Ah, access rears its head with an unintended consequence?

7. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Good Stuff Mark, thank you

8. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

None of this answers my question.

If the water stream on a drinking fountain is not high enough to comply with code do I need to go around the building and shut off all plumbing fixtures that may be running and then check the drinking fountain stream height again?