1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Builder's fix on BCI Joist cut

Discussion in 'Residential Structural Codes' started by RN1218, Dec 1, 2018.

1. RN1218

RN1218 Registered User

On a walk through of new home build before dry wall, our inspector found some serious cuts on Joists.

One of them cut off the upper flange and web, and is under the bathroom with bathtub over it.
    C:\Users\richy\Documents\House\BCIJoist_Cut_Total.jpg

Another one cut through the upper flange.
    C:\Users\richy\Documents\House\BCIJoist_Cut_Detail.jpg

Then the builder did a "fix" with several 2x6 nail into it vertically.
    C:\Users\richy\Documents\House\BCIJoist_Fix1.jpg

C:\Users\richy\Documents\House\BCIJoist_Fix2.jpg

C:\Users\richy\Documents\House\BCIJoist_Fix3.jpg

I do not think those do any good. Any suggestion?

2. RN1218

RN1218 Registered User

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

Your picture links do not work

4. RN1218

RN1218 Registered User

Here are the pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

Not acceptable..........require the stamped manufacturers engineers repairs in these areas, do not let them cover it. Is there a jurisdiction inspector? Have they been there?

my250r11 and JBI like this.
  6. JBI

JBI Sawhorse

Engineered wood products NEED to be installed per manufacturers specifications and I don't believe any of those fixes are in the manufacturers builders guide (downloadable from the manufacturers website BTW).
    A licensed engineer could come up with a properly designed fix, but most will shrug and refer you to the manufacturer.
    The manufacturers have engineers on staff that usually go into the field and either recommend a fix or possibly require removal of the now damaged product.

my250r11 likes this.
  7. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Don't you just love Sawz-alls and apprentices?

JBI likes this.
  8. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

I hope your Texas code inspector does their job for your benefit

9. Keystone

Keystone Sawhorse

Also put a level on that 3" drain, the picture certainly has the appearance that drain is without pitch.

tmurray likes this.
  10. tmurray

tmurray Sawhorse

We use almost all engineered floor joists here. In my experience, if the top cord of the joist is cut less than half through, the fix is usually a 8' 2x4 with 4 nails on either side of the cut. But the repair details do change from manufacturer to manufacturer, so always rely on their specific designs. We require the contractor to submit these whenever the joist is damaged.

We have only had one house where the cuts were this bad and LVL were added on both sides of the joists for the full length of the joist. That plumber has never plumbed another house here.

Pcinspector1 and JBI like this.
  11. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

I haven't seen blocking done that way except for squash blocks over a bearing I-beam

Pic #1, need an engineered fix design for the flange and web cuts.
    Pic #4 need a horizontal steel strap were both top plates have been cut and I question the thickness of the wide metal strap covering the 3" pipe at the top plate on both sides?

12. JBI

JBI Sawhorse

Half agree... plates needed to protect the pipe
    Half disagree... I'm not seeing this as a bearing wall, so the tie strap requirement of R602.6.1 may not be required.

13. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

JBI, I think your right, it may not be a bearing wall, the wall above the floor is probably above the double I-joist in the photo. The T-wall intersection should hold it in place as well.

The steel tie should be 16-ga with the proper amount of fasteners required. R602.6.1.

JBI likes this.