1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

An average day

Discussion in 'Contractor Talk' started by ICE, Oct 13, 2011.

1. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

Is there anybody else out there that would vote c-taps off the island.

40859470793_d81b93cc0b_b.jpg

#3281 ICE, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
  2. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The inspection was for a Tesla battery system that was added to an existing solar system. I asked the person that met me to "Walk me through the system". He pointed at the battery and said, "That's the battery". I said, "What's the rest of it all about". He said that this is the first inspection that he has ever been on and he knows nothing about anything that's electrical.

40859631063_bd027e3e51_b.jpg

Correction number two had to do with a clearance issue. There's little doubt that the solar company will call the manager to complain about correction number one.

#3282 ICE, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
  3. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

Also signage (labels)?

4. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

At the first inspection I found that the stucco had been completed. I asked for the stucco to be removed for inspection. At the second inspection I found that the stuuco patch had been removed but the lath had been reinstalled. This is the third inspection. The extruded lath has been removed and the paper has been reinstalled. Well it is a solar contractor doing their best.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was finally able to get to the j-box on the roof.

[​IMG]

5. Norcal

Norcal Registered User

Is the meter height OK? Picture makes it look high, and those offset nipples are ugly at best.

6. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The height is okay. The raceway through an intact ko is not okay.

7. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

I saw this and called the office to find out if there is a permit for solar. There is and I haven't inspected it yet. Shirley somebody's gonna tell me that this is alright.

[​IMG]

It's hard to tell from the street but that looks like felt and not that old. I can see a shadow of another line that seems to be another layer. It might be an asphalt roof covering under the tile. I can't get any closer than this. I need a drone.

[​IMG]

Update: There is a permit to remove the tile from the footprint of the array and install asphalt shingles. Actually there are two permits for that work by different contractors. After the solar is installed someone infills the tiles around the array.

#3288 ICE, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 9:57 AM
    my250r11 likes this.
  8. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

The birds are gonna love that install, the occupants not so much.

9. Pcinspector1

I like that they took the time to paint the conduit. There is different colored conduit on the market, but probably not that color?

10. e hilton

e hilton Bronze Member

Question ... is the problem that they are using the wrong size? Doesnt look like it wraps far enough around the smaller wire. And i assume they are allowed by code, otherwise you would have (reluctantly) issued a citation.

11. e hilton

e hilton Bronze Member

fatboy likes this.
  12. linnrg

linnrg Sawhorse

That picture is just funny as hell I almost get dizzy just looking at it. Up here I have seen many of these issues due to frost heave. When I was a young guy I saw structural damage due to bentonite clay. Many of the builder's in my area used to bury trees and stumps on the lots which forever settle - so I have responded to lots of structural damage because of these bury pits.

13. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The c-tap is too small. There is a specific tool that’s required for the crimping of the c-tap. That tool will emboss a number where it engages the copper. The number corresponds to a particular die for the specific c-tap. That didn’t happen and almost never does. Beyond all of that, this is a bare copper grounding electrode conductor to ground rods.....in a planter .....that requires protection from physical damage.

[​IMG]

#3294 ICE, May 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 7:09 AM
  14. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

I put a ruler on the picture and they are too close to say otherwise. I saw the different reveal and wondered if it’s just the door.....everything looks like the day it was built but something is way off.

15. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

A new circuit for an EV charger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. my250r11

my250r11 Sawhorse

17. Pcinspector1

If it's a #6 AWG GEC and free from physical damage the GEC can be run along the building surface without protection if secured. If not it would need protection, preferably in conduit.

I don't know the GEC size but assume that the GEC is a #6 AWG:

Question: Would you classify this install free from physical damage?

18. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

No.

19. Pcinspector1

ICE, I already knew your answer, and concur with your opinion!