1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

An average day

Discussion in 'Contractor Talk' started by ICE, Oct 13, 2011.

1. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The last time that I saw this panel it faced the hallway that is on the other side of the wall.

47354217751_f0ff0b9360_c.jpg

When this panel is replaced it will face the hallway.

47301532462_6fa7d71fdd_c.jpg

#3161 ICE, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  2. tmurray

tmurray Sawhorse

We recently had someone undertake a similar repair due to a footing being undermined from flooding last spring. In researching the product, the piles take the full load of the foundation. So, in this case, the manager made the right call in my opinion.

3. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

2012 IBC
    1804.2 Placement of backfill.
    The excavation outside the foundation shall be backfilled with soil that is free of organic material, construction debris, cobbles and boulders or with a controlled low-strength material (CLSM). The backfill shall be placed in lifts and compacted in a manner that does not damage the foundation or the waterproofing or dampproofing material.
    Exception: CLSM need not be compacted.

4. Ty J.

Ty J. Sawhorse

Compacted is different than requiring compaction testing.

Compacted is an arbitrary standard understood by most to mean firm and unyielding.
    Compaction testing requires development of a 100% value by means of a proctor (commonly D1557 or D698). Testing would be extreme overkill for a foot of foundation wall backfill. Especially when next week the home owner could plant shrubbery throughout.

tmurray likes this.
  5. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

It’s closer to three feet. The point of it all is to arrest a subsiding foundation. The piles have been forced into earth until the friction reaches a point that is deemed sufficient to support the structure. What are the conditions that effect the sufficiency of that friction? Are those conditions fluid? Has this pile system never failed?
    So I asked for support under the foundation in the form of slurry and compacted soil for the balance. The two guys with shovels said that they usually just toss the dirt. I wanted to be sure that the soil was compacted so I asked for a compaction report.

I guess I question an incomplete engineered process.

6. e hilton

e hilton Bronze Member

View attachment 3991

When this panel is replaced it will face the hallway.

View attachment 3992 [/QUOTE]
    Are you saying you are going to make them put it back into ths hall? Good for you. What about cleaning out the spray paint?

7. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

Are you saying you are going to make them put it back into ths hall? Good for you. What about cleaning out the spray paint?[/QUOTE]

The panel will be replaced......as in a new panel facing into the hallway.

#3167 ICE, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  8. MtnArch

MtnArch Sawhorse

ICE - Thanks for the explanation - that makes more sense now, however my question would now be that if you do have piles wouldn't the continuous footings have been designed as grade beams that should (theoretically) span from pier to pier without support? If you so, why would you need a compaction report to be generated?

I really appreciate seeing and hearing your (and others) experience from the other side of the fence. It's so easy for we DP's to focus on our black and white drawings and totally ignore the reality of what really goes on in the field that you IP's ('Inspection Professionals') have to deal with.

9. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

Alan,
    It is not likely that the footing was designed as a grade beam. The engineer that put this together placed a square steel tube under the footing. I assume that is because there is no way to know the strength of the footing.

I believe that compaction is important. I am mostly alone in that belief. The plans and specifications do not mention compaction so I stand on firm ground approving the work without compaction or a report. The owner, contractor, engineer and insurance company are pleased with the outcome....who am I to rock the boat?

#3169 ICE, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  10. MtnArch

MtnArch Sawhorse

I guess I have never been involved in a project that had piers that didn't have grade beams designed as a part of the foundation. Thanks for the explanation!

11. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

ICE
    I might be over thinking the need for compact from a different need
    Considering the seismic zone you are in I would think compaction should be required for this repair to prevent a lateral shift of the house in a seismic event the week after the job is complete

12. tmurray

tmurray Sawhorse

That should have been taken into account by the engineer of record. Not a bad thing to ask and make sure of though.

13. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

Are you enforcing the Pool and Spa Code...are there requirements for support there? Otherwise....you are out of bounds.........non-pot, re-circ water, unless you have local amendments, you have no jurisdiction. My neck of the woods........

14. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

Well no fatboy we don't enforce the Pool and Spa Code. So I don't know if there is a code for pipe support there.

Take a look at the pipe. Do you see how easy it would be for a rambunctious kid or bichon frise to snap the pipe?

32453776767_f9fd558161_c.jpg

You are correct....I am out of bounds. But hey now, somebody had to pay for a permit....am I to be faulted for giving them a little extra?

#3174 ICE, Mar 16, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    fatboy likes this.
  15. e hilton

e hilton Bronze Member

Those cracks look excessive. Maybe not a code issue, but certainly not done with quality in mind.
    You said the permit was to add a kitchen, bedfoom and bath ... is it becoming multi-family? Is the old kitchen remainjng?

16. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The new kitchen is the only kitchen.

17. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

18. e hilton

e hilton Bronze Member

Oh good. Now the kids can stand on the pipes to look over the fence.

fatboy likes this.
  19. MtnArch

MtnArch Sawhorse

Did you require compaction reports? (sorry ICE .. couldn't resist!!) ;-)

fatboy likes this.